Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Wipeout!

Now generally, I am not a total Klutz!  But I do have my moments.

Once upon a time I got a new job, the company I work for now. 

I had my interview and got the job and reported for my first day at work.  It was the day where you sit through all of the new person stuff with the other new employees that were just hired.

During this time we had a break.  Everyone dispersed out and I decided to take a walk around the building to see the sites.  I was walking on one of those huge sidewalks made of embedded rocks and gravel, made all pretty for the eye.  It was right up against the building so I was safe enough.

As I was walking, there was approaching, a small drop down in this sidewalk.  I was not knowledgeable of this drop down, I was looking elsewhere.  Now mind you it was not a step down that would have been more noticeable, but rather a 2 inch slope down.  Completely invisible.

You would think I am just walking, so any stumble would not result in a major accident, but NOOOO.  I wiped out completely!

Imagine tumbling down a steep embankment at about 20 miles an hour.  That was me.  When I finally came to a stop, in the most compromising position, I was at the least, perplexed at what had attacked me.

Let us stop for a moment and set the picture.  I was dressed up.  Dress (not long enough to help with modesty of any kind), black hose, high heals, nice handbag and looking all new for my new company.

Ok, so I finally came to a stop, immediately without thinking I turned myself over to a sitting position, all I could muster at the moment.  I was reeling with pain and wondering what the heck happened and how I was going to get up gracefully.  I looked around.  No persons in my sight.  But.... and this is a big but.... behind me was the building and this building was nothing but glass, the mirrored kind that you cannot see in, but everyone can see out!  Great!  I had no idea what kind of audience had just enjoyed this moment of whatever!

So, as I looked around, my purse was about 6 feet away.  My pretty black hose were torn to shreds and I am not kidding, shreds.  The largest area of impact was obviously one of my knees.  It was bleeding profusely, hose above the knee, hose below the knee, but no hose around the knee.  Torn to shreds.  Surprisingly, the injury was much worse than I would have expected.

I checked myself out, still sitting on the sidewalk, I had no broken bones that I could tell but very many abrasions, hands, arms, etc and of course a gaping gash in my knee.  So I proceeded to try to gracefully get up.  Not successful in the gracefully part, but finally got to my feet.  Blood running down my leg from my injured knee.  I carefully walked over to pick up my purse.  The bending over of this action, made me feel a little loopy.

I carefully limped back around the building and in the front were two girls that had started to work with me today.  I walked up, they were deep in conversation, and just stood there.  One of the girls looked at me and had this weird look on her face, she said, oh my gosh you are white as a sheet!!!  I was beginning to fade away, they immediately took over and walked me into the building lobby and sat me in a chair.  By the way, still bleeding.

In a nutshell, I had to be driven to the emergency room by an HR person.  I had gravel embedded in my knee and had to have stitches.  The HR person then had to take me to my home, I couldn't drive and had to leave my car at the new work.  I could not walk the next day, so I could not attend my second day at work!!!!  First day at work and I was on medical leave!!!!

What a first impression that was!!!  I totally ROCK!!!

1 comment:

Deborah said...

I can so see this happening to you and I can't think of ANYBODY who could handle it any better than you did!! I probably would have gotten in my car and drove home and then making up some lie to tell my new employer. I just love this about you!!