Saturday, January 8, 2011

Freeze Time

We here in Texas are bracing ourselves for temps in the twenties and maybe teens. Wind-chill !!!! It doesn't happen often in Texas but every so often we have a frigid few days or a week maybe. It usually causes all kind of havoc.

I know we are not alone in this northerly drop in temps across the US, but it is a bit different here. A colleague of mine from the north was wondering about why one of the first things we do is wrap the pipes! Well I don't know why that is not a regular occurrence in northern states but it is here.

Got to cover those faucets outside so the pipes don't freeze and burst. I thought that was normal. Anyway, if you are on the ball, you have already bought those little covers made for such a thing. But as with a lot of people, newspaper, an old towel, plastic bag and some duct tape will do the trick. This is Texas, those little covers sell out not long after the forecast is made. Alternative, not as attractive maybe, but it will do the trick.

I live in the city now, but days of old, I lived in the country. Seems to freeze harder in the country, not sure what is up with that. Way back when I was much, much younger, I lived in a very small house, husband and first baby daughter, Casey, also. She was only a couple of months old.

We had about 10 acres, the start of our small ranch. We also had some cattle. At this time we had about 5 feed eating calves in a pen across the pasture from our little house. I signify feed eating calves because at times we had bottle fed calves. These calves needed to be fed. This was a hardship when husband was gone and baby couldn't venture out in the cold with me.

One very cold and icy night, husband was gone for his job. He was a lineman and this is just the kind of night he would have to be called to work. Baby Casey and I were in our little house (this is the house with the icy porch I told you about) and it was dark outside. There was ice and snow on the ground and we had the house heaters on trying to keep toasty. Which was fine, but then all of a sudden fires went out. We had run out of butane. You know that silver tank out back that fed the fires of the home!! Shoot, not a good time for this.

Now into the story comes one of the nicest men I have ever known, Quinton Neely. I loved that man. It was a very small town and he was the butane man. I knew him personally because his daughter was my sister in law and because it was a small town. Everybody knew Quinton, he wore a lot of hats and he was quite the character. So I called him, I felt really bad but it could not be helped. I imagined he hated when people called at a time like this. Last minute and all. Ice on the ground and such. But I also knew he loved me and would be right at my aid. I had an absent dad at the time and he was like a dad to me! And this was not the only time he was there for me.

When he came to my aid, he actually helped more than just butane. He also listened for the baby while I went to feed the calves. So we, he and I, spent some time breaking up the calf feed (it was frozen). He patiently watched out for Casey while he filled the tank and I went out to the pasture. He of course had offered to go out for me, but I would not hear of it. This was part of my life and lively hood, my job if you will. So I donned the coat, boots and hood and headed out. I carried a bucket of feed and a light to find my way and went out to my waiting, hungry calves.

I returned, calves were fed, tank was filled, home was warm and after a big hug, he drove away.
What a blessing Quinton was for me that night. My knight in shining butane truck!

Stay warm and safe everybody!

1 comment:

Deborah said...

Thanks for posting this Beva....You know it's one of my favorite ones and just so you know Daddy loved you too:)