Monday, January 17, 2011

James Blunt

I have said before how I love talent.  I love to hear or see someone with a gift that moves you or astounds you.  I heard a piece of Tears and Rain on a television show.  I immediately went online to pull it up and hear the whole song.  The piece that I heard on the show I thought was absolutely beautiful (no pun intended).  I listened to the whole song.  It is not a new song, but either I hadn't heard it before or didn't listen when I heard it.  I don't listen to a lot of radio and I multi-task when I do.

Before I get into the content...  This guy has talent, the voice is gifted.  Such a sound and ability to move this voice where ever he wants to go with it.  It is soothing and dream provoking.  The music is also beautiful, I know he plays multiple instruments and the songs of his that I listened to have amazing music.  There is a flow about it that makes you just want to sit and listen.  This is wow talent. 

Now, the content, the words, disappointed me.  When I heard Tears and Rain in an excerpt, I thought wow, from those 3 words what expectation I had of what this song must be about.  Beautiful voice, music, title, I couldn't wait to hear it.  But the lyrics fell short.  I am no prude and I tried very hard to glean something from his words.  Some meaningful idea or feelings that would fit such a title, and nope, wasn't there.  It didn't stop me from listening more than once.  Some songs I love when I could care less or even not like the words.

Maybe why I have many CDs in different languages that I have no clue what they are saying.  Doesn't matter, the music, voices, tone, melody, whatever is great.  I appreciate the talent, even when I cannot understand the words or wonder why the heck did you write those words into such an amazing song?

We have all heard Beautiful and it lives up to the gift.  Beautiful, the song, is excellent... even though he was bleeping high!  (he said that himself)  It was a good little story which happened to an amazingly talented voice and music. These lyrics I like...  Not astounding, mind you, but fits.

No comments: