Thursday, June 2, 2011

Religion - No Duct Tape!

When you are reading this, pretend that I am of your faith, whatever that faith is.

I really don't know what to think about this.  A school in the area has had to stop not only prayer at their graduation, but any mention of any kind of any religious words by anyone at the ceremony.  One child who is graduating is agnostic.  And his family took it to court that any prayer or mention of religion at his graduation infringes upon his rights.  No prayer is not my issue here, I understand that in a way, more than stopping the students from saying what they want to say in their speeches.

One student might say in their speech I thank God, another Buddha, Allah, the Mother Earth, the gods of the pharaohs or even I don't believe in a god so I thank myself.  That is the students right, right?  To each their own, it will not insult me or infringe on my own rights if that takes place.

One of the graduates is speaking at the graduation who does believe in God, whoever her God is, she now feels that she is the victim of losing her own right to free speech.  They cannot say what they want because of the ruling.  So you have say 600 people in a place at a ceremony and they all are subject to this ruling?  It is now said that no one can speak of any religion, belief or even say "religious" words... huh?

So I am thinking, what of freedom of speech, how does this fit in?  And freedom of religion, how does this fit into this situation?  So let's talk democracy, take a vote, right?  I don't know how many, but what if you let all the graduates take a vote and let the results stand?

I cannot help but wonder what the parents were thinking when they make such a stand and now their children are taking the heat.  Not them, who do not have to attend the school everyday with such a burden on them.  The graduate has younger siblings.  I would never condone repercussions to them, but we all know those kids will suffer.  In other words think about picking your fights in a venue that you as adult parents take the heat, not your kiddos.  That is the "mommie" in me talking.

My point being, I cannot stop the world from saying something in my presence, but they cannot make me say it. 

I truly believe that people have the right to believe as they choose.  Done deal.  I do not ever want to be "in your face" with my beliefs.  But I will and do talk about it.  I also know that I have and will be in the presence of people that do not believe like I do.  I do not want to stop them, nor do I want them to stop me.  I totally understand and support not teaching religion in schools.  Let me re-phrase that, teaching about religions in history or sociology, yes, but leading into or promoting students to believe or join specific religions in school, no.  But I do not understand stopping a student making a speech, from speaking.  Or stopping a person from saying Amen, Voo Doo, or Abra Cadabra!, when they robustly agree with what is being said.

There is a fine line here for sure.  There are all kinds of beliefs, opinions, people taking all kinds of stands all over my TV.  What I don't agree in, I have the right to not agree, walk out of the room, not listen, turn the channel and even put on my own show about how I believe, feel or want to share.  It is our right.

I believe in raising my children the way I decide to.  I also believe in teaching my children all about the diversity of the world, of our own country.  About personal tolerance and how I want them to act towards others who are not like them in many, many ways.  If you don't want to have your own mouth taped shut, then don't rail to have other's mouths taped shut.

I just didn't get it, that's all.

My disclaimer:  The above talks about speech, as a human being, I will never agree with any belief that abuses, maims, tortures, or kills people in the name of any religion.  Being mean, bullying, hatred, rude, angry and harmful are never acceptable, in my opinion.

My disclaimer#2:  I am very proud of my belief, I want to shout it from the mountain tops as I am sure you are of yours.  I have spoken of it in my blogs.  But in this blog it is the protection of our beliefs and freedom of speech and religion that is my point.  I don't want anyone to have to hide beliefs in a basement with fear of persecution.  Being able to speak of my belief is the exact reason for this blog.

Be kind people, that is universally good advice no matter what your belief is.

2 comments:

Becky Bray Harris said...

AMEN!!! (Which comes from the word for TRUTH; now means we agree that the words spoken (or written) were the truth.)

Moody said...

Thanks Becky! I robustly agree with you! Great point for the regarding the subject. Heard this morning the salutatorian joins appeal for her freedom of speech.