Thursday, May 26, 2011

Granbury Nostalgia! What A Fun Thing To Do!

Hood County Courthouse vintage photo

Nostalgia says it all!  On facebook you have options to create groups.  Granbury is my hometown.  And a guy named Joe made this group for our hometown about the olden days.  It is astounding, Gerald invited Deborah and she invited me and it is amazing!  All these people I had not seen or heard from for years and I am talking years were all on there talking about the good ole days!

It was immediately addictive, it was only started less than a week and I think for 2 days I was mesmerized with all the talk and memories.  Most could not tear ourselves away in that first week.  Some people I have not heard about since Elementary and Jr. High and High School.  I cannot even put into words how cool it was.

From this I have had many new old friends added to my FB.

There was talk about places and buildings or businesses that aren't there anymore.  About the fun had at those places.  Many stories, much hilarity and some sadness for friends that were lost back then and since then.

Talk about proms and events I hadn't thought of in years.  Much talk about pranks, things we cannot believe we did!  It was something to hear about the school, the things that were not allowed and in parallel the things we cannot believe we got away with!  The first remembered expecting teacher and how she wasn't allowed to wear real maternity clothes while teaching - good grief!  People who used to be in town, the woman who walked all the time, the events that happened from time to time that rocked our world.  The year they filled in our river and made a lake.  We had a beach then for the first time and lucky us, the teens at that time.

Talk of the old drive in that is still open today.  The walk in "show" on the square.  The teachers, drivers ed guy, the DPS officer that failed many and passed some on their driving tests.  The dances at the Legion Hall and more very exciting and some strange things we used to do.

There was a school walkout because of haircuts.  Talk of girls having to kneel to make sure their dresses were long enough and the first time we were able to wear pants at all and then when we finally got to wear jeans!

One cool thing is that people were asking who did this and who did that, confessions if you will!  Who chained the cannon to the school flagpole, stealing stop signs, the fastest car, the biggest daredevil, the girls who smoked cigars and many many more!  Talk of the town square and everyone driving backwards around it and getting caught or not getting caught. 

There were many hangouts mentioned, the boat dock, the dairy king, bowl, etc.  The roundhouse, domino hall.  It is a great group, try it.  There were people from all different decades and we relished the memories, seeing people (online) and learning who did what and where and when they did it!

It is like an instant live school yearbook covering many years!

We never want to live in the past but boy is it fun to reminisce and really laugh out loud talking to many old friends online all posting and laughing at the same time, you had to really be fast to keep up with all of the posts!  Thanks Joe!

It was addictive, I finally got help!

4 comments:

JJ said...

Fabulous building. I appreciate learning about new places. I have never been there, but I will make it a point. My son lives in Texas, so I'll try to check it out next time I visit.

Anonymous said...

I so miss Granbury myself, although I am a "Houstonian", I have not called it my home for many many years and I do not miss it at all. But Granbury is the coolest, sorry it is going so fast though. Sh

Moody said...

JJ: You will love it if you visit. It was the quintessential small town when I was growing up. Everybody knew everybody and the "drag" was perfect for us teens. We walked and rode our bikes all over town as kids, safe and full of fun. Friday night football and then into basketball, everyone was involved. A block from my house and down through the trees and brush was the Brazos river. I remember us getting in trouble for going down to the river without adult supervision. They put the lake in and it started growing. Now it is a very popular tourist town with tons of history, museums, shops and Bed and Breakfasts. Not too long ago, they took out all of the stop lights and overhead wiring from the square to preserve the historic look of the surrounding restored buildings, the famous courthouse and opera house.

Moody said...

Sh: I miss you being close too! I am glad our paths crossed those many years ago and now we are close even when we are far away! Come back and visit! See you here at the house for Tay's wedding.