Thursday, April 21, 2011

Smoke Jumper


I basically just want to say - Read this, I loved it.
Smoke Jumpers, seasonal side job to those who fight fires in forests during the high fire times of the year.  Very interesting and suspenseful.

It is about two jumpers, a musician and a photojournalist.
It is adventure, a bit of love me, love you, love him and they both love her.
A lot of smoke jumping, saving lives and being surrounded by fire.
An unexpected side story.
An Elk with antlers on fire.
I actually read this book more than once.

I like Nicholas Evans' books and I believe he has only written five.
But one of them is the amazing and famous Horse Whisperer.  Much better and more involved than the movie of the same name.  Although the movie is very good also.
A very good murder mystery called The Loop, which is a wolf item.
The Divide is also a murder mystery.
I have read those 4 and about to read the 5th - The Brave.

When you start with Nicholas the author, most people jump to Sparks.
But I have read all but one of Evans' books and not one of Sparks, I do believe.
He was a journalist, then a film producer before starting to write fiction.

Nicholas Evans stopped writing for quite awhile because he, his wife and two friends accidentally ate poisonous mushrooms.  They were critically ill for quite awhile and now 3 of the 4 are still on dialysis and awaiting transplants.  Wow, don't eat wild mushrooms!

He is back now and has published his 5th novel.
I am glad.

In Texas right now and for the past several weeks, we have had many and one seriously out of control wildfires.  All kinds of means of firefighting have been utilized and I kept wondering where are the Smoke Jumpers!

Many lives have been altered forever and many prayers are going up all the time for rain and an end to the fires.  Volunteer fire fighters have been going to the fires in droves and we are very grateful to them.  One has lost his life.


No comments: