Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Rolling Outages in Texas! 12 Degrees Here!

I woke up to no power this morning.  I would say the silence woke me up, but who knows.  It was cold, oh my gosh 12 degrees outside and I have no electricity, so no heat. 

I reached for my cel phone and started dialing power company, main company (of course they sent me to who services my electricity later) did not know about outage.  Gave me another number to call.  I am sick, 102 fever, coughing and freezing even under the comforter!  Called next number, they didn't say anything, automated.  Me and automated walked through several questions and finally after about 10 mins, automated said "sorry i could not understand your last statement, thanks for calling, Goodbye!"  Massively irritated, coughing my head off and shivering I am pseudo yelling - "no, no, not after all that!"  So I dial them right back, this time the call started with an announcement that we are experiencing forced outages to conserve energy during this freezing temperature time.

Somewhere in between those calls, I did call to get a hotel number for a hotel that is 2 blocks away.  I didn't call yet and I am sure there is not a hotel room within 10 counties.  Superbowl!  And the Stock Show, every hotel is booked solid.    Of course, all is covered with ice, I couldn't have gotten out to drive anywhere, felt stuck in the cold.

I watched every piece of news last night before I went to bed early, slathered in Vicks and doused with Nyquil, but they never said anything about rolling outages.

I could not make coffee, I never bought that powerless drip pot I said I was going to for such times.  I pulled the covers over my head and waited.

In about 20 mins the electricity came back on, thank you Jesus!

It had gotten so cold in my house while it was off, heater is working overtime to get it back up to warm.  I made coffee and watched the news.  They too were surprised by all the outages and then started explaining what was going on.  Only they said about 5 mins, I wanted to call them and tell them more like 30 mins, but I'm too tired to care.  I am just happy heater is working its little heart out to warm my home again!  Going back to bed!

Stay warm people!  And to those not in Texas, when they show us on the news, that is not pretty snow, what you see is ice!

No comments: