Sunday, March 20, 2011

God Fearing People, We Don't Kill Achans Anymore...

Being judgemental is not an asset, it is a wall that separates you from persons in need.

My disclaimer:  I am not speaking of wars here, defending a country or the lives of 1000s of innocent people.  The justice system, breaking of laws and serving sentences.  I am talking about our every day life, people we supposedly love, our family, our friends, co-workers, people we meet and come into contact with.  And as usual, I am also talking to myself here.

It's easy to be critical of people, to decide in your own mind that they are not worthy of your attention.  That something you feel is bad about them, reason for you to separate yourself from the bad activity is one thing.  To judge them as not as deserving of love as you is quite another.

I feel, that once Jesus walked upon this earth, we are no longer expected to shun the Achans, to kill the Achans.  Jesus came to save us right along with the Achans, to love all mankind and embrace all.  Unconditional love means something to me, it is what I am given and is what I should give.
We are not loved more because we handle ourselves or our lives better than other people.

Jesus simply said, if someone steals your cloak, give him your coat also.
We say, you are a thief and you are bad, I will no longer have anything to do with you.

We become missionaries for hungry, lost people far away, but we shun the prostitute down the street as not deserving.  We help the prostitute down the street, but we cannot forgive a friend who did us wrong.  70 x 7, Peter. 

 21Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?
 22Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.

I cannot save people, but I can love them and pray for them.  It is my God given job.  I cannot house a drug addict, I am a single woman, but I can love and pray and give and not judge.  I hate what drugs do to people, but it is only by the grace of God that my life didn't go in that direction.  If I made good choices, fine, but I have made bad choices too.  I am not immune.

Bad things happen to good people and what some consider bad people.  When it happens to people you might think deserve it, then it is said that they should live their life better.  Take the time to hear their story.
All it takes is one person to make a difference in someones life.

I heard part of this on TV this morning, along with a story about one life that was altered by life events out of his control.  Many were critical of him, one person took the time to find out his story and then became part of his healing.  He was without any love in his life and that one person who took time to find out his story, showed him love.  Tears came to my eyes.  His life could have become a very sad life, but it didn't because one person didn't turn their back on the bad boy.

Love anyway.
Someones life may depend on it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, this really hit home for me, having been on both sides of this point. How true it is, I hope that readers get it and understand the importance of it, Right on sista Bev, sh

Moody said...

me too on both sides sista SH! i have to remind myself time and again...

Casey said...

great writing!