Friday, March 25, 2011

127 Hours...


This one was a bit of a conundrum for me.  It is a true story and it kept to the true story.  I felt myself wanting to see certain things happen, that didn't happen in the true story!

I love, love, love James Franco, although I was disappointed at his Academy performance, the promos were great.  But when he got on stage, he fell flat.  Not daunted though by that tiny let down, I love all else he does.  He can do funny, insane, bad guy and he cleans up real nice.  Easy on the eyes.  And he was good in this movie.  I don't know the real man he portrayed, but when seeing that real guy at the end of the movie, I believed that Franco played his part very well.


I cannot for one minute imagine what he went through and how he handled his situation the way he did.  But I very much enjoyed watching the process.

I have read books and am very interested in that part of the country.  What seem to me like crazy people, don ropes and equipment and take treks down into the sliver like cracks and crevices of the earth.  The beauty of those rock formations and the idea of what happened to mold them into what they are today is amazing to me.  But on many occasions of reading books and seeing documentaries and movies, I hold my breath like I am inside those crevices myself.  I cannot imagine!

One aspect of these such adventurers that is a real threat, a danger that they have to watch out for is the flash floods.  If it rains anywhere near, these crevices are the point of that rain runoff.  It causes mighty rushing of water that fills those crevices.  And if you are caught there, you could surely drown.
This was eluded to in the movie, but it appears as part of a dehydration mental induced vision or rather, delusion.  You know it didn't fully happen because of the outcome, so we are not sure if it really rained or flooded.

See it, not because it is a blockbuster movie, but because it is a harrowing true story.  It is not the big, huge production as some true stories are.  I heard one or two that said it was boring.  But I think it is a slowly told story of one man, one independent, adventure seeking man, in a 127 hour time span of his adventurous life that cost him and changed him forever.  But it did not slow him down. 

It is interesting to watch what this guy went through and what he ended up doing to survive.  The actual act of what he did in the end is walked through in several stages and, well, it is just interesting and unbelievable what a person will do to live instead of die.

What I wanted to see more of was Amber Tamblyn, I like this actress, but as the true story is... her role was but a small piece of the story.  One of the scenes with her in it, shows an activity of this type of adventure that makes me nervous and I cannot believe people actually do that.  I would love the adventure if I could get over the tiny spaces!



Factoid:  Franco and Tamblyn were both characters on General Hospital.  Franco still has a recurring role as "Franco".  His role is deliciously, madly insane and I love him in that role.  He plays it very well.

He has new movies out and coming out and I will watch them.

Coming soon:  My excitement over Barry Pepper playing Bobby Kennedy!



No comments: