Monday, August 22, 2011

Country Strong - I Hope You Dance!

Boy nothing like opening a movie with Silver Wings to grab a girl who grew up on and loves country music and country dancing.  Even showed the old two-step, all be it seriously weak, it was real.  I hate when they do the fake country dancing on shows, movies and even broadway, learn it right or leave it alone!


Movies like this take me back and it was good.  The story base is all too known, the fall from stardom, and all the tawdry side stuff.  But it was a good movie, and the music and the actors were good.  Who doesn't love Tim McGraw acting, standing there, singing, just standing there, smiling, almost crying or just... standing there (he didn't sing in the movie) and I have long since blessed Gweneth's newly introduced singing talent.  And she can act, of course.

Bo, didn't look up his real name, has that sultry low southern man voice, singing not grand but good, and his acting chops made up for it.  His care and connection to Kelly was so real and believable, it really made up a large part of the movie.

The young girl singer, still no name, played the cliche I wanna be a singing star part, but that is exactly the way is was meant to be in this movie.  So she did well.

It kept turning corners and you can't help but root for all the happy ending pieces... I won't spoil it.

Not a blockbuster, I liked it, I re-wound and got up and living room danced to the good songs.  I think I will buy the CD.

So I am going to take this movie about the fall of a singer, and make it all about me and what I got...  The music, and with country music comes dancing and the memory lane.  I love, love, love country dancing, always have, just don't do it much anymore, at all.  It is riding a bicycle-like, you never forget how. 

But I don't frequent the places I used to so that I can do this.  I remember fondly though, after peanut-harvesting, when I was a kid, all the folks would go to the barn and pull out the guitars, fiddles, mandolins and it was exhilarating to say the least, what a celebration.  Just the beginning.  Stock show every year, in the Roundup, rodeo ok, bull riding good, dancing great!

Now people, don't go putting me in this box or that, I also grew up on american bandstand, the Beatles, the Beach Boys, Carol King, Joplin, Ray Price, Steppenwolf, and many, many more.  We would rock at the VA Hall on Friday night after the football game to our own home town rock band.  And go to the nearest town's rodeo and street dance the next night.  Life was a dance and I participated every chance I got.

And I am not that old, I had my own record player when I was 6 and was a true bandstand fan at that time.  So I guess you can say I started young.  At the same time, I also had the pleasure of my parent's old lp's, Lefty Frizell, Jimmy Rodgers, Hank Williams and so many more.

Good times people, good times.  I hope you dance!!!

No comments: